Sunday 4 April 2010

Fashion As a Forum

Continuing on from last week's Toile positivity I've had some very encouraging results back from Anthea today for the Fashion as a Forum: Design Aesthetics unit. I passed with a 76 (First) i'm relieved! Anthea said i had a real knack for writing and that she read it 4 times. She seemed very impressed! This means I can now progress onto year 3. For The unit I wrote about the Digital Schedule of Fashion Week and the introduction of fashion film which is taking over catwalk shows. It is a subject i'm very interested in!

I think some of the extra marks came from my Research file, which i did as a blog http://fashionasaforum.blogspot.com I thought seeing as my essay was film related I should be able to show the films I was talking about!




One of the films I discussed was Little Shilpa's AW10/11 who has been labelled the 'Phillip Treacy of India'. The video is eery, in an almost subliminal way, and as soon as i saw it i knew i had to write about it - and haven't forgotten the film since! Here is some of the conclusion from my essay:

'The revolution of a digital schedule is clearly approaching a wider audience of buyers and wholesalers. As London is innovatively paving the way for creativity in fashion film and digital streaming I predict the digital schedule will become a permanent fixture to the twice yearly event, also becoming more important to designers in Milan, New York and Paris.
Whilst Twitter and Facebook kept the world updated on the week, the daily updates attracted more viewers and website visits jumped by 30 per cent. Burberry's show streaming proved beneficial and advantageous to sales, whilst Hussein Chalayan depicted recurring issues to fashionable ears, sending out a serious message. The world of new media and technologies is expanding the fashion industry. Fashion films are correlating to collections indicating that film could replace the catwalk itself, as it is a more economical presentation of a collection. However, for now I imagine whilst there is still the prestige and excitement of attending shows in person, catwalks will continue. With digital streaming and fashion film becoming more dominant in Fashion Weeks to come. there will be a growth in accessibility to fashion insight, prosperous opportunities for the exhibition, promotion and the more widespread display of Fashion.' Amelia Kanaris

No comments: