Wednesday 2 March 2011

Who can take Galliano's Dior Crown...




As you may well know fashion house Christian Dior has cut ties with their head designer John Galliano after the release of THAT video. Speculation is already circulating the fashion world with rumours of a predecessor! The main suspected/desired designers seem to be Riccardo Tisci of Givenchy, Stefano Pilati of YSL, Alber Elbaz of Lanvin and Christian Lacroix. I thought in order to get a feel of the designers using the Dior design aesthetic (of Galliano's designs) I would, yep - you guessed it, get photoshopping! I like to call them my frankenstein hybrids of
Dior vs Designer
.

Can the look of Dior change that much with a new designer?


Tisci for Givenchy is so beautiful. His most recent spring/summer couture collection was a vision of beauty and he captures the brand perfectly. Seeing as he's not been at Givenchy for long it's a long shot he will up and leave for Dior. Both companies are owned by LVMH luxury goods company, givenchy is their second largest money maker in the apparel division - after Dior! Most similar to the Dior Couture collections which Riccardo Tisci does so well.



Stefano Pilati for YSL is super chic, a lot cleaner in silhoutte and tailoring than the embellished gowns and glamour of Dior. Could this choice in designer change the Dior Aesthetic completely? I found Pilati's designs went with the Dior Resort Collection - which has a more of a sixties vibe like the more beatnik style YSL!




Alber Elbaz is a morrocan born Isreali fashion designer currently for Lanvin. Obviously this design giant is massively talented, but could his Isreali roots be a desirable quality for Christian Dior to redeem themselves of any mis-conceptions Galliano may have left with the brand? Do you think he would want to rid Dior of their demons? These Dior designs are from the Fall 2010 collection - combining well with the deeper lanvin colour palette.



Christian Lacroix's Fashion house went into administration in 2009, so could this be his comeback? What does he do now does anyone know? I think his parisienne chic glamour works perfectly for Dior. This collection is a Spring/Summer 2010 couture collection - nearer to the time where Lacroix was still showing in 2009. Can you even tell the difference! (yes, probably!)

So, any idea's on a contender for the new Dior Design job? Could it be YOU! I hear the odd's on it being Katie Price is 1000/1 - there's a chance...

Amelia xo

(PS Some of these Dior/Galliano dresses are reminding me of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding!)

17 comments:

cowbiscuits said...

I hope it is Stefano Pilati I think it would keep the Dior glamour but also add a young/playful side to it like the 'Cherie' perfume ads does.

BUT i do know nothing so! xx

amelia-k said...

Good point! I love Pilati because his style is more young and playful in a mod 60s kind of way! XXx

ps don't be silly, fashion is subjective, everyone knows something! :)

Melissa said...

It's interesting you mention Pilati as there are rumours he's leaving YSL, Lacroix has recently designed for spanish company Desigual so it depends if he wants to return to his first love of couture or enjoy doing diffusion lines/affordable fashion. Personally I'd prefer Lacroix.

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG8274279/Christian-Lacroix-designs-for-Desigual.html

Laura said...

Team Lacroix! Fun, extravagant and tongue-in-cheek! xx

p.s. I LOVE this post

Izzy said...

Such a CLEVER post, love TISCI. Amazing blog= Following! Hope you visit back :)
www.swampedinflowers.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

Lacroix would be amazing, but I'm secretly holding out for Luella Bartley!
x

Unknown said...

I love how you really put thought into these collages and presented the story in a different way. Loving the Alber Elbaz possible feel, excited to see what happens next!

Haute-fly said...

Alber Elbaz... Love Lanvin and he would be perfect for Dior.

Although I have been left with a sour taste in my mouth after the scandal and the revelation of Francoise Dior.

I commend Natalie Portman for leaving the brand.


Please feel free to have a little look at my post and leave a comment.

Haute-fly xx

Filipa said...

Amelia, this is seriously MEGA awesome post! SO much work must have gone into this and the styling is great- some of them look like they were originally done that way !!! I personally think it will be Tisci, and I wonder if he'll still stay a head of givenchy, and I wonder if he will bring that androgyny of his designs into feminine Dior, because that would be well cool! :)

Law1sfab said...

I think that as sad as it all is, maybe this is the best thing that has ever happened to Dior. I think having a new designer may help Dior push forward, taking it to a new era.
I think Gall needs to get himself to rehab and sort the drink problem out, than say a HUGE EPIC sorry to well everyone. Great post

LaraLainThatsMyName said...

I think it could be YOU! ;)

Dark Blue Jeans said...

OMG i visited expecting another galliano post but OMG this post is amazing.

how did i not think of it first? lol

well done.
but for me Galliano will always be the king of Dior :)

but i like riccardo tisci to take over :p

Dylana Suarez said...

Everything here is so amazing!

xoxo,

colormenana.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

this is all so amazing xxxx

Belle said...

Wow this is such an amazing post!!! My friend was explaining it to me the other day & i didnt really understand but this post is just so awesome!

Love the blog chick :) New follower!

Love Belle

www.belle-0642@blogspot.com

bangonstyle said...

I love this post - its so clever.

Miss Couture Vintage. X said...

Nothing can beat Dior! Ahhhhh...

Keep following Miss Couture Vintage X